There is a new revision of the Raspberry Pi model B available – the Raspberry Pi Model B+. With the new Model B+ we finally get more IO’s, additional USB ports, lower power usage and better audio.
The Raspberry Pi Foundation is fast to point out that this is not a version 2 of the Raspberry Pi, but rather a refined version of the existing Raspberry Pi model B. This does however not mean that there is not a number of exciting new features in this refined version.
- Extra USB ports – You can now Connect more to your Raspberry Pi using the 4 USB ports
- An 40pin extended GPIO to enhance connection to peripherals
- Stream and watch Hi-definition video output at 1080P
- Lower power usage – The Model B+ only consumes 600mA, compared to 750mA on the original.
- Better audio – a new low-noise audio circuit is added, so you no longer need an external sound card
- Micro SD – the new Model B+ uses micro SD card instead of the regular SD card
The new model also has a slightly different form factor which can cause problems if you want to switch it out for an old one in an existing project or product. However if you are building a project or product based on the old Raspberry Pi’s form factor you will be happy to hear that production of the old Model B version will continue.
Where can I get it?
The Raspberry Pi Model B+ will be sold for 35$ – just like the original Model B version. You can buy it right here for the base version or using this link for a version that comes with a pre-flash SD card ready to use.
If you are just getting started with the Raspberry Pi you may be interesting in this complete package that comes with a Raspberry Pi Model B+, a pre-loaded SD card with Noobs, a case and a power supply.
If you want to know more about this new version of the Raspberry Pi take a moment to watch the release video from the Raspberry Pi Foundation – or read through the blog post on their website by following this link.